In the last several weeks I have seen several houses during inspection with foundation issues.
I want to go over several possible signs that you can look for in a potential property that you are thinking of putting a contract on.
- Large gaps around windows – Is there large gaps between the window frame and siding? Has the large gap been filled with sealant?
- Large gaps around exterior door frame and siding – Is there large gaps between the door frame and siding? Has the large gap been filled with sealant?
- Foundation has large cracks – Are there large cracks in the foundation up into the exterior brick walls?
- Large cracks in the exterior brick walls – Is there large cracks or zig-zag cracks in the exterior brick walls? Is there separation between walls? Are brick walls loose to structure by pushing on the wall?
- Do the interior doors stick to the door frames when operating?
- Are there large cracks in the interior sheetrock? Usually coming from the door and window frames. Also, is sheetrock tape warping in areas of the interior? Usually where the wall meets the ceiling or down wall corners.
- Are there large cracks in the garage floor? Large enough to put a quarter in the crack?
- In the attic are the roof rafters pulling away from the Ridge Beam?
All the above are potential signs of possible foundation issues. If you’re thinking of purchasing a home and not sure if it has foundation issues. Please call Kevin at American Dream Inspections TX, LLCfor a foundation inspection or a general inspection at 832-566-0973.